The FIRE Fellowship application process involves the following steps:
- Learn about The FIRE Fellowship (including prerequisites) by reading the provided materials and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
- Complete and submit an application. The application submission window is from November 1, 2019 to December 21, 2019. Please allow enough time to submit a completed application by midnight on December 21. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered. For questions regarding the application process, write to email@example.com
- If requested, provide any additional information and/or participate in an in-person and/or Zoom interview.
- Applicants will be notified of their standing by January 31, 2020.
Application Timeline Summary
Application period opens: November 1, 2019
Application submission deadline: December 21, 2019
Applicants notified of standing by: January 31, 2020
Complete Application Includes:
1. Applicant Info
Complete the Applicant Registration form.
Submit a one-page resume with relevant work, service experience, and education.
3. Cover Letter
Submit a one-page letter (250 words or less), explaining your interest in the fellowship, including responses to the questions: Why is now the right time in your life to participate? And, Why you are a match for The FIRE Fellowship?
4. Letters of Recommendation/References
Up to three letters of recommendation from references who can speak to your service, leadership, and ability to make good use of the fellowship. Please include reference email and phone contact info with the letters.
5. Letter from Home Organization or Community (OPTIONAL)
If you are coming from an organization, community, or project that will benefit from your participation in FIRE, please include a letter from a representative describing the organization, community, or project, and how your participation relates.
6. Short Answer Questions
Please complete the short answer questions listed below (150 words or less for each, or nine minutes total for audio or video submission). Note: The answers to these questions do not need to reiterate the information in your cover letter.
For all audio or video responses, please send video or audio file attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Last name, First name, FIRE Audio/Video”.
- Share a brief story about a project or accomplishment that you consider significant in your career/life. Include a brief description of your responsibility/role.
- What is the problem that most needs your attention in the world right now? What is the core issue? What are your responses?
- Describe a time when you have faced uncertainty, ambiguity, or not knowing. How did you deal with it? What did you learn?
- What are some of the challenges and gifts that you experience related to your social identities and locations (such as: race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, class, etc)? What identities feel most salient to you at this time?
- What project would you intend to undertake with the monetary award?
- How would you describe your relationship with fire? What would you like to learn related to fire?
- How do you envision that FIRE will enable you to serve your community/organization?
- If you are offered the fellowship are there any reasons why you would not be able to accept the seat?
- Anything else that you want us to know?